Friday, August 22, 2008

It's a Lonely Ol' Night...

It's a good night, really. I'm staying at E&C's cabin by the lake, which is a fantastic spot. I arrived here hours after planning to, plopped down and read for a bit, then went up to the main house for a visit. After seeing other friends, I came back in the dark...to darkness, having forgotten to leave a light on for myself.

I'm not a big fan of darkness and being alone, especially in non-home settings. This being the case, I made sure I was on the phone when I returned. SOMEone would know if something happened to me in the 40 feet between my car and the cabin. I got in, checked the corners, then hung up with my friend. Safe. Inside. Alone. Content.

It was when I went for my salad that I realized I had no water. There were water bottles aplenty in the car...but none inside... Eleven pm. Who could I call? I tried two friends, but neither answered. I texted another. Nothing. 40 feet. It was only 40 feet...in the dark...next to the lake...40 feet...I could do it...

I unlocked the door. Stepped onto the porch. Rustlerustlerustle went the grasses and brush by the corner of the cabin. I froze, alarmed but not wanting to look stupid. (a) An animal would care? b) An attacker would care?) As serenely but quickly as I could, I stepped back inside the cabin then closed and locked the door.

WHAT was big enough to make those sounds? Not going out again.

I sucked in some tea and some milk, but really missed water. It wasn't worth braving the ferocious rustling sound, though. NOTHING was.

Soon, however, the Warrior texted back, and I called him to explain the matter. His voice gladly accompanied me to my car, and I talked loudly enough to drown out or frighten away any local creatures.

Along the way, I noticed the moon rising over the lake. It's turned the water white, in a path that leads, well, straight to my door. It's a beautiful ol' night.

Update, 12:01 am:
Something just walked across the porch. It seemed to be cat-sized and didn't make much noise. Have I told you about the giant, prehistoric raccoon I saw out here a couple of months ago? I wonder if that was it. I wonder if it was rabid. I wonder if it can smell salad.

And I'm supposed to sleep here?

Six more hours 'till dawn...

No comments: