Tuesday, October 23, 2007

McClinic

It's my guess that sinus drugs and flu shots don't mix well. I was on one when I had the other done last Wednesday, and I haven't been the same since. Just this annoying dizzy feeling that makes me feel uncoordinated and rather like the Headless Horsewoman.

So, sucking it up, I made an appointment with the on-call physician and went in.

The bad grammar and eau de nicotine were probably my first clues that this woman had skimmed her textbooks. Bedside Manners 101 was apparently a class yet to be taken, as I was snidely told that antibiotics did nothing for viruses. If I wanted, I could have a CT scan done, but that would be a waste of my money in her opinion. (Then why was it mentioned?)

I said I had felt somewhat similar to this a few years ago, when I was told I was dehydrated.

"Why do you think you're dehydrated?" she demanded.

Maybe because I feel similar to how I did a few years ago...when I was told I was dehydrated...?

"Have you been throwing up? Had diarrhea? Had a temperature?"

No, no, and I don't know. I've felt warmer than my cold-blooded self lately...

"Do you think you're dehydrated?"

I don't know. You're the doctor!

"We can send you to the ER to get fluids if you want, but we're not gonna do it here at 10 minutes to five."

It felt a little like a McDonald's drive-through... I'd like a CT scan, with a side bag of IV fluids....

What do I want? I'd like you to read my chart and listen to me carefully. I'd like you to be kind. I'd like to be able to relax and let you be the doctor. That's what you went to school for...maybe...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I'm sorry. I hear ya, though. Been there.

~B said...

The woman just wanted to get home and watch soaps, she didn't really care that you were there! I hate that feeling, that feeling that they are talking about how lame I am behind my back. You really should write a letter of complaint, SHE is getting paid by YOU, not the other way around.

~B