Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I'd Like to Take This Opportunity...

I'm not a fan of Halloween. I love the dressing up, but I dislike the evil behind the day.

Tomorrow, kids are encouraged to dress up as their favorite movie or book character. I think of it as an opportune time to wear my glow-in-the-dark skeletal long-sleeved T-shirt. (I haven't figured out a character to correspond it to yet...but I figure pretty much anyone would work. Eve was the first woman with a skeletal structure...)

I've gone back and forth with the concept. If I wear something skeletal on Halloween, does it look like I'm condoning the holiday? And then I wonder, Why should the "day" have so much power?

Why did I buy the skeleton T-shirt? I like seeing how things work. And, while glowing 2-D bones aren't the real thing, they make me think about what goes on inside me. How amazing is all that stuff? Heart pumping, nerves tingling, tendons connecting, muscles moving, brain telling, bones supporting... How amazing is the God who makes it work?

So I'm "taking back the night." I'll wear my skeleton T-shirt and praise the God Who makes the real bones. I'll see the Trick-or-Treaters and smile because I know my Savior has defeated the real monsters and goblins. And the princesses will remind me of who I am--a princess, the daughter of the King.

No comments: