Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I'm not a fan of distance driving in rural areas at night. One reason: roadkill, which I'd rather not cause or be discovered as. Before the sun began to set prematurely, I found myself getting involved in a Bible study 45 miles from home. Now, even before the Daylight Savings change hits, I head off into the sunset--meaning a black, black drive home.

On tonight's journey, I wondered about road conditions come the onset of winter. I detest icy highways even more than I distrust dark ones, though I do have all-wheel-drive and am really curious about how my side cushion air bags work. Then I was reminded of the full moon a week or so ago--how the countryside really was bathed in light, and how it was a pleasant drive home. The week before that, I had the setting sun on my right and the approaching moon reflecting off the ponds on my left as I drove toward study. Again, the moon accompanied me home.

But I've taken science classes. I get that whole "full moon, partial moon, no moon" thing. It's silly to think I'd have light for each night of my travels...

I said goodbye, stepped into tonight's cold, and began my drive home. Not far outside the city limits, I noticed a glow in the direction of my town. Couldn't be. So far away? But none of the in-between hamlets were big enough... For the next forty miles I watched the lit sky, until I was in my driveway and looked up at the cover of clouds above me.

Sun's light reflecting off the moon some nights or manmade light bouncing off the clouds another week; either way, He provides.

No comments: