Saturday, February 03, 2007

Aim


It's 2 p.m. on a Saturday, with an outside temperature of -7. Inside is nice--my seat's in the sun, and the woodburning stove is seven feet away.

I find myself watching some dog show competition with my parents. My father's favorite part is the water diving. Each dog crouches a few feet away from the edge of a rectangular pond, then sprints and leaps. The winner is the one whose nose lands farthest from the starting edge.

To give his/her dog a focal point, the owner/trainer tosses a chew toy (ball, plastic fish, rubber chromosome shape) into the water ahead of the dog. The dog isn't aiming for, say, the 27' mark; it's aiming for the object. Unfortunately, the owner's/trainer's ploy usually works. If the object lands at 23', that's all the dog goes for. One dog even swiveled its head back when it realized it had overshot the toy.

What am I aiming for in life? A number that will make people cheer for me, or a plastic fish that will bring me joy?

2 comments:

Armorison said...

eewww, tough question. I would have to say a little bit of both. However, I'm also learning that I'm not out to get the goldfish to bring me joy; it's more to bring my Master joy.

Armorison said...

By the way, I have no clue as to why I said goldfish instead of plastic fish, but you get the point. P.S. The dog shows are awesome! Not the grooming type where the owners run around in circles, but like the outdoorsy type of dogs!