Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Bit of Self-Righteous Posturing

Last weekend, I was in a skit about modern-day Pharisees. The sermon followed, with the pastor detailing the fine points about the ten commandments. (For example, "It's nice that you didn't kill someone...but if you were angry with that person, you've committed the same sin that led others to murder.")

That was a bit humbling. Alrightey, a lot of humbling was done. And it's still effective...so I'm not sure how to share the next part.

I'm sure you've read about the TB guy--the one who got on planes, knowing he had an extremely drug-resistant variety of the disease. Today's news ID's him and gives a bit more background. His father-in-law works for the CDC and gave him "fatherly" advice against traveling. So maybe the poor, ill man didn't realize how serious his disease was.

Then I read that he knew the US airports had restrictions against him, so he flew into Canada and drove across the border. He what? I know my students aren't being truthful with me when they make excuses about things I haven't yet asked about. TB Man altered his travel plans as an excuse.

All I can think is "Jerk! You sat on an international flight and exhaled into the recycled air system that how many other people were breathing in? And you knew you were sick?"

New twist on my thinking patterns: how do I deal with something like this? Is it "righteous indignation?" Or am I sitting in judgment?

And then the reminder comes: how much have I prayed about it? Am I mad at the idiot, or am I concerned for the people he exposed? Am I willing to pray for them, or would I rather fume? There lies my answer, and a lighter spirit.

1 comment:

~B said...

Fuming is so.....um, I don't know.... Therapeutic though.