Sunday, May 11, 2008

30 Minutes on a Treadmill

Have you seen that commercial? The one with the lady running, and the caption reading, "30 minutes on a treadmill..." and the camera panning out to her plastic water bottle, followed by "...a lifetime in a landfill..."

I've been rather lax about recycling; if it wasn't convenient (green box with "Recycle" symbols in front of my face), I didn't do it. Maybe it was that commercial that convicted me, or maybe it was the Discovery Channel's documentary on things made with recycled plastic. Regardless, I've picked up the practice.

After I strip off the trimmings and rinse a plastic bottle, it's left on the bathroom floor to air out before it goes into the recycling bin. Currently, there's a miniature army of two Pepsi bottles, a water bottle, a protein water bottle, a gel container and a contact solution bottle lined up on the floor. The army's not pretty, and I rather wish it weren't there. Then it strikes me that this is just the refuse from one person, and it's only a few days' worth of material.

Makes me a little more conscious of what I use, when I begin living with my trash...

No comments: