Saturday, April 19, 2008

I am entirely of the opinion that a midlife crisis consists of dealing with wrinkles and zits simultaneously. It's been a bit of a skin-care dilemma of late, but tonight--tonight cured all.

Last night, I got repeated text messages from a friend/coworker: "You should come downtown. My fiancee's friend is in town, and he's single."

Bars aren't my place, and being thrown into a "Hey, you should meet this guy" situation on top of that wouldn't make for a good first impression. And I was getting a cold...and I was tired...and I had some ministry work to finish... So I didn't.

Tonight, a few of us from work went to a movie. Side note: don't bother with "Leatherheads" at full price. If you don't watch it for its quirks, it won't be worth it even on cheap night. L actually dozed off a few times; but then, she's not an Office fan, so she can be forgiven. In light of her disappointment with the movie, I decided to accompany her downtown afterward. Therein lay the highlight of my evening. It wasn't in the setup, but in, ironically, the door girl.

L and I walked into the bar and grill, and she paused. I noticed her flipping open her wallet and realized, from my college days of playing pool with a friend at the bar across the street, that this was ID time. I slid mine out of my wallet, handed it to the girl, and held my breath. I'm 5'1"...what if she thinks it's fake... She studied it, then handed it back.

"You look amazing for your age."

I...uh...I...thank you...

"Brown Eyed Girl" came on the radio, and though L is 6'1" and strikingly beautiful, I didn't feel shorted on anything as we strode down the aisle to meet her friends.

No comments: