Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Not Just Another Shiny Icon

I slipped through the darkened back hallway before rehearsal and stumbled upon "Jesus" spattering "blood" upon his cross.

He paused in his work. "What do you think?"

It was dark, dirty, red, gouged, scarred... My eyes took in the darkest parts and associated them with the appropriate body parts.

"It's horrible." I looked away. Kept going.

I ran into the thing again as I walked through another hallway later on. It looked even more hideous in the light. Juicy. Not in a "fruity candy" sort of way, but in a "fresh kill" sort of way.

And that's what it was, wasn't it, that moment of crucifixion? Like a carnivorous beast that requires its meat to be fresh, so it was for the sacrifice for sin. Fresh and alive--enough for the blood to drip--until the lungs were still and the heart was silent.

And it was His blood--the blood of that Guy I know.

The same thing that makes me want to run and vomit, simultaneously makes me want to curl up at the base of that cross and wait three days. He's coming back.

1 comment:

Alaina said...

Great picture - greatly told. Thanks for the "refresher."