Friday, February 15, 2008

I'm 5'1", and she's a head shorter than I am. Little, spunky sixth grader with long lashes that radiate from eyes of vivid blue. "I hate my eyes," she pouts, but she's adorable.

Each time my back is turned, she writes on my whiteboard. One day, it was "Dear Ms. [Goalie], you are the BEST teacher eva! That's why I love you!" This week, she just hung by my desk whenever there was free time in class.

I stayed late after work today, and she came bursting in my door with a friend. They wrote on my board and acted like children...until she perched on a table and looked at me intently.

"Can I ask you a question? I need your advice on something. My mom goes to the bars, and I don't like that. So we made this deal--that she'd only go one night a week. But when I'm gone, I know she goes then. So how do I get her to stop going? I've told her I don't like it, and I've written her notes. I tell her good things, but then when she reads 'bar,' she rips it up and throws it away. She spends all this time with her boyfriend and puts him on her calendar, but she never has time for us."

How, child, do I tell you how angry I am toward this woman you love? How do I tell you you're right without spitting out how wrong she is?

"I gave her a Valentine's present, and she didn't even say 'Thank you.' It was this fluffy white dog with a red collar that said 'I love you,' and she just took it and nodded and put it in her room. She didn't even say 'Thank you...'"

I had nothing to say, and was struck by the realization that I had almost shooed the girls out because I had "work" to get done. A sigh of relief that I had not done so.

"I'll pray, okay?"

She looked at me in a confused sort of way as her friend pulled her out the door to their awaiting ride.

And I will. I don't know in what way, but I will.

2 comments:

Fire Seeker said...

It's 5:30 on a Saturday morning and I stumbled on your site only because I wanted to be sure I was spelling woah horsey right. I am definitely going to spend some time reading more. I had been in prayer about several things and your comments sure hit a cord for me. I just submitted my letter of intent to the small school where I am the Librarian. I'm 55 and this has been a difficult decision. I to love the children and see so many sad situations.
Another funny coincidence is the entry about Rudy. I just bought that for a teacher and it inspired me to go to his site and read more and share his inspiring rules with some students. Just last week! I am going to share your site with the teacher. I think she will be inspired by your honesty and faith also.

Goalie said...

Wow...that's funny! I came across my favorite blog in the world because I was doing an image search for "worship" and found a picture of my state's governor. That led me to another site (which horrified me), which contained a comment by the author of a blog...

What on earth does my blog have to do with "woah horsey?" :)

Isn't it interesting how the world of education has changed? Even more important to be a Christian in public education...

Thank you for sharing--and sharing that you're sharing!