Monday, August 13, 2007

Paying My Respects


An old friend died yesterday..."old" being 94. She was on my mind for the past week. Some people age for so long that you subconsciously think they'll continue to do that forever. Apparently, they don't.

I visited her at the nursing home last winter while she recuperated from a broken hip. I popped in twice at her assisted living place, promising each time to return for a game of Pente. The elusive "someday..."

And now, gone. If there's Pente in Heaven, I'll look forward to that...but I don't think there is.

"Why didn't I..." thunders through my head and echoes back in a different tone--"Why didn't I?" She was kind-hearted...but wearying and demanding. It was easier to step back than step in. Now there's a last visit to make.

I think that "paying my respects" takes on a different meaning now. I have another friend in her 90's--sweet and gracious. I don't think there's a better way to honor the dead than to honor the living.

If you'll excuse me, I've got a call to make.

No comments: