Monday, July 02, 2007

No More Boots

Naively optimistic, I asked my parents why people were putting my grandma's snow boots into the "to go" box as we moved her out of her apartment. There was a quiet shake of the head, followed by, "She won't need them."

Well, she won't if you don't think she will. Be optimistic! Let's go take her for walks!

But they were right. My grandma shrank, shriveled, and eventually just lay on her bed. Not long after that, she passed away.

Her car was parked outside my parents' house today. I didn't recognize it until I heard my aunt's voice. Since she had done so much in caring for my grandmother, her siblings had decided that she would receive that bit of property.

The car was my grandma's; the voice was my aunt's--but then she teased my mother, and those eyes were my grandmother's. Clarity of mind, wit, twinkle. I wanted to cling to her...and I wanted to flee.

2 comments:

Alaina said...

Good words, my friend.

Goalie said...

Thank you!

They...make sense to someone outside my head? Good! :)