Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Purpose of Summer

I really, really wanted to be a foster parent for infants this summer. But I didn't get the go-ahead from God--and without His blessing, well...I've done things without His blessing before. They haven't been blessed. So I didn't.

I thought of a few places I could get "easy" jobs--breakfast hostess at a local hotel, like a friend did one summer. Early mornings (ugh), being friendly to out-of-towners, then going home and back to bed--and getting a little bit of pay. Didn't feel called to that, either. [Sigh.]

What,
then, God?

I figured for a while that the plan was for me to use my talents--enhance what I've been given. But today, as I try to phrase that, I realize I've been given the opportunity to create. I've got a lovely little garden growing in planters on my balcony. There's a hassock full of beading supplies at my feet. The bread machine I inherited from my 90+ year old friend (which sat in my storage unit for five years) and the slow cooker I got at a garage sale have been employed at least weekly. I delight in God as Creator, and I've been given this time and these resources to follow His example--maybe not in creating man and animals, but in creating things that are good. For a while, I've been stifled by my reactionary tendencies; but here in this quiet, there is life.

No comments: