Monday, December 24, 2007

The Third Moment of Christmas


Fifteen degrees, and I'm freezing my fingers off as I try to get a shot of the moon. Despite the layers of wool, cotton and leather on my upper body, the chill seeps into me. I'm not sure why the wise men knew to follow the star that they did...but when you know, you know.

I saw it when I left the candlelight service. Seven hundred people holding bits of flaming wick seemed to be the "aha" moment of Christmas Eve, but stepping outside, glancing up into His sky, I was reminded that there is more.

Even without presents, even with the symbolism of candles, He reminds me that there is more to this holiday than what we contrive.

A belt of cloud obscures the moon, but a glow radiates from behind it. Jet trails crisscross the sky, and Mars beams nearby. Vapor...wisp...mist...light...a burgundy hue from particles in the air...

Follow the light. What message does He have for you?

No comments: