Sunday, June 17, 2007

An Oddly Perfect Father's Day

The highlights:

At my parents' church this morning, I introduced myself to one of their elderly friends. I'd met his wife on numerous occasions and loved her for her openness and appreciative qualities, but this was the first I'd actually talked to him.

As she pushed his wheelchair toward the spot where the community bus would pick them up, I extended my hand. She introduced me and made the connection to my parents. He didn't talk at all, but grasped my hand. And he didn't let go.

The bus arrived, and the driver loaded on another elderly friend. Still, BE had me in his grip. His wife and I carried on a conversation, I included him through eye contact, but I was pretty much glued in that position, walking backwards as she wheeled him forward. While slightly awkward, it was delightful.

Hold my hand. If that's the highlight of your day, take as long as you like. I don't know who I remind you of or what I make you think of, but it really doesn't matter. Besides--this is the longest my hand has been held in quite some time!

The other highlight was bonding with a four-month-old at a church event this evening. I am amazed at God's provision--that on a day when, frankly, it would have been nice to have helped make someone a father, He provides an outlet for those counterpart maternal instincts. There is something so perfect about a contented baby's head against your chest.

So odd to be so deeply touched by both ends of the spectrum on the same day. So gracious of God to meet needs--maybe not in my way, but in His.

No comments: