Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Sick and Wrong

I read an obituary in last night's paper and remembered the last name as one my mother had mentioned years ago. Obituaries often list illness or accident as the cause of death for a person in his 20's. This one didn't. I did some Googling and found a link to a blog, which conveyed that depression had been a factor. I Googled further and found a 20/20 video from 1988--telling more than my mother had told me at that time in my life.

Parts of the video evoked the same horror and sickness that the "how to perform an abortion" blog did. CAUTION: To illustrate how bad the situation was, 20/20 included sample pages from one of the cult's pamphlets. Images are mostly blurred--mostly.

I followed another link and found a post from the mother, in which she confirmed that the cause of death was suicide.

So here I've sat for at least the past hour and a half, trying to get it. I understand the "depression leading to suicide" matter a bit. It brings up the faces of a former classmate and a former student...and others.

The cult part flabbergasts me. Again, sickens and flabbergasts. What sort of person would preach these twisted ways? And what sort of man would follow them and preach them himself with a voice that sounds like whipped cream on top of a bowl of NutraSweet, following a dinner of pure sugar?

How dare these men use the name of my Lord and Savior in a way that warps everything He said two thousandish years ago and counsels us in today?

And what am I to do about that?

No comments: